Discernment Counseling is a unique short-term type of counseling designed to help you discover if divorce is the best option for your marriage moving forward
Who is this process for?
- For couples who see things differently but know each spouse's perspective needs to be heard
- For couples considering divorce but are not completely sure that it's the right path for them
- For couples who want to give their marriage another change even if one spouse is moving toward divorce
Who is this process not appropriate for?
- One spouse has made a final decision to divorce and is seeking counseling to encourage the other spouse to accept their decision
- One spouse is coercing the other to participate
- A relationship with the danger of domestic violence or there is an Order for Protection (OFP) from the court
How is discernment counseling different than couples counseling?
- This is a short-term process (1-5 sessions)
- I will not offer an assessment of your relationship problems or solutions
- Our sessions will focus on which of three paths is best for you:
- # 1: Stay married with your relationship continuing as is
- # 2: Move toward separation and divorce
- # 3: Work on reconciling by committing to an all-out effort through couples counseling over a 6 month period
- I will NOT tell you which path you should take
Discernment Counseling can help you make an informed decision together about whether divorce is your best option and give you the best next steps for your relationship.